Relocating for Cancer Care

If you live in a rural area or in an area where clinicians may not have significant experience with head and neck cancer, you may want to consider relocating for some or all of your medical care. Alternatively, you may want to find an NCI-designated hospital that includes medical specialists with an expertise in head and neck cancer. This may necessitate relocating to obtain your cancer care.

Relocating to obtain cancer care is likely to require time off from your place of employment. If so, you may want to check with your work place to determine if you qualify for The Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA). If you do qualify, then you will be entitled to have 12 weeks of unpaid leave to receive treatment. Your health insurance, provided that you had this benefit, will remain active during your medical leave of absence.
If you have an unusual type of cancer, it’s important to go to a place where they see it all the time.Linda K. (maxillary sinus carcinoma survivor)